- Capitec* (JSE code: CPI) through results got everybody talking about the “arrears coverage ratio” dropping to 208% vs. 223% previously and vs. 196% in 2015. This got all the attention last time as well, I not concerned and my ‘aggressive’ buy price is now around R719.
- I have some USD expenses due in the next week or so and have taken a hedge using NEWUSD* just in case.
- Anchor Capital results showed a serious slowing of growth but still a stock with a great looking future and at around 600c very attractive.
- I have been trying to add to my very very small Sea Harvest* holding but I don’t want to chase the stock as I think we may see some weakness in the weeks ahead. 1275c would be my ideal entry. It traded 1270c last week, but I wasn’t paying attention and missed them.
- UK has triggered Brexit and now Scotland wants out of the UK.
- A really excellent post by Kristia on bond ETFs.
- Upcoming events
Protecting yourself from the Rand
With the Rand getting all hot and bothered again after a protracted run stronger I thought a quick look at how we can manage our portfolio against a weaker currency. We have the easy things like offshore stocks that are locally listed, offshore earning stocks, locally listed offshore ETFs and the NEWUSD mentioned above. There is also a pure offshore bank or brokerage account or heavily invested into commodity stocks. But the bigger issue is that political squabbles are part and parcel of being a South African investor and Rand weakness is also our future, even if at times we have strength. So we need to build a resilient portfolio that survives these events.
JSE – The JSE is a registered trademark of the JSE Limited.
JSEDirect is an independent broadcast and is not endorsed or affiliated with, nor has it been authorised, or otherwise approved by JSE Limited. The views expressed in this programme are solely those of the presenter, and do not necessarily reflect the views of JSE Limited.
Meet the Just One Lap team at these free live events
Click here to meet the Just One Lap team at one of our live, free events.