Finding a local Berkshire Hathaway?
- US mattresses with Steinhoff (JSE code: SNH)? Paying more than double the last traded price?
- MTN looks all ugly. Forget the fine, forget over a billion Rands in associated costs. Nigerian and South African markets look weak and I still say they need to transition into being a data utility. That said there’s a nice trade from around R122 – R140.
- SABMiller (JSE code: SAB) leaving the JSE on 11 October (most likely) after listing on the JSE in 1897 (just two years after being founded and a decade after the JSE was founded). SAB has been one of the key drivers of the Indi25 index over the last decade (SAB +472%, All Share +154%). They’re going to leave a gapping hole.
- If you had R300, which ETF would you buy? We ask the Just One Lap team for their picks.
- The Fat Wallet Show goes where few are brave enough to trend. Renting vs. buying, what does the maths say?
Keith McLachlan from Alpha Wealth
Finding a local Berkshire Hathaway? Simon answered a listener questions suggesting that maybe Conduit Capital (JSE code: CND) was an option. The trick however is the regulatory environment and Keith McLachlan helps us understand what thoseSolvency Assessment and Management (SAM) regulations are and how difficult it makes for a company to model themselves on Berkshire Hathaway.
We Get Mail
- Richemont (JSE code: CFR) has been falling steadily for nearly a year and is down 26.59%. Is it now regarded as a “Dog”???? Or because it is in your Death Do Us Part portfolio has it become a “Puppy”? Question – have you sold or not? My problem is Astoria (JSE code: ARA). I bought for long, long, term and that has fallen about the same. Do I bale and lose a large dollop of my portfolio which I am no longer in a position to recoup, or let it turn around with the Rand exchange rate. Problem is that might not happen in my lifetime!!! Decisions …. decisions
- Tax feedback
- Just a point on not being able to offset trading losses against other income, believe you can as long as SARS didn’t ring fence the loss and your chances are better if you are not at marginal tax rate,activity not deemed to be a hobby and not more than 3 losses out of last 5 tax years.
- I can feel for Johan. I used the “Other income” to declare ‘trading income’ from various sources. I keep these income’s to the bare minimum. HOWEVER…. No easy place to claim expenses as a separate entry. Unless You open the can of worms called “Business” income.
- Any ideas on how to benefit from current strong rand i.e. which ETFs are good options to take some cash offshore?
Download the audio file here or subscribe to our feed here or sign up for email alerts as a new show goes live or subscribe in iTunes.
JSE – The JSE is a registered trademark of the JSE Limited.
JSEDirect is an independent broadcast and is not endorsed or affiliated with, nor has it been authorised, or otherwise approved by JSE Limited. The views expressed in this programme are solely those of the presenter, and do not necessarily reflect the views of JSE Limited.