Sell the dogs (sorry dogs)
- Ellies (JSE code: ELI) results were as ugly as expected and the company is being kept alive by their bankers at Standard Bank. Megatron is worthless after buying it for R180million in 2008 and spending some half billion keeping it afloat. A few weeks ago in FinWeek I said sell ELI at around 60c and I would not be a buyer now.
- Kumba (JSE code: KIO) results were not bad. They have got their cost down to $34/tonne from closer to $55 previously. It does mean less production to get the lower costs and the market is still in massive over supply but they at least now positioned to (likely) survive.
- SABMiller (JSE code: SAB) got an extra pound with the offering being revised to GBP45 but some minority shareholders are still not happy as the pound has weakened. One can hardly blame SAB or AB Inbev for that but the minority shareholders need 25% to block the deal and that’s very unlikely.
- Kristia looks at ETF costs in her blog this week.
- The Fat Wallet Show takes Magnus Heystek to task for suggesting all ETFs are evil and have been mis-sold over the years.
Anchoring – sell the dog
Simon talks about getting rid of those zombie stock in your portfolio; when, why and how. Most importantly they are causing pain and the price you paid for them does not matter.
We Get Mail
- Why hasn’t anybody (in SA) tried to replicate the Berkshire model of buying insurance companies and using money of premiums to make investments in big companies ?
- What happens if Deutsche Bank goes under and I hold their ETFs?
- Any hope for Taste (JSE code: TAS)?
Download the audio file here or subscriber to our feed here or sign up for email alerts as a new show goes live or subscribe in iTunes.
JSE – The JSE is a registered trademark of the JSE Limited.
JSEDirect is an independent broadcast and is not endorsed or affiliated with, nor has it been authorised, or otherwise approved by JSE Limited. The views expressed in this programme are solely those of the presenter, and do not necessarily reflect the views of JSE Limited.
Meet the Just One Lap team at these free live events
Click here to meet the Just One Lap team at one of our live, free events.